Introduction to Environment Management System
Industries Globally are going for Environment Management System Certification Viz. IS/ISO 14001:2004 which recently have been revised to IS/ISO : 2015 version. The cost of certification by licensing authorities are borne by the industries and in addition surveillance is carried out which also incurs lot of expenditure. Besides, we required to give training through out the organization and maintain document as per standard.
What is the real motto of Environment Management System?
The real motto behind certification is to gain following benefit to the organization.
- Improve global branding and gain market leverage.
- Improve safety and environment parameters and carry out continual improvement by implementing tools like aspect, impact studies and implementation of Environment Management Program (EMP).
- Increase productivity
- Improve awareness of people working in the organization about environment, safety, hazards, aspect, impact & legal requirement.
- Implementation of legal requirement.
In this paper a systematic environmental aspect & impact studies for flow of acid through pipe line have been carried out, objective targets for significant aspect, controls for both non-significant & significant aspect have been brought out .
The improvement for environment performances by drawing out EMP for significant aspect have been also brought out and its result are very encouraging to meet the goals for “Environmental Improvement; In the paper various formats have also devised and shown for each activity underlying aspect impact analysis, controls , objective ,targets and finally making of EMP.
The content of the paper will help any organization as ready reckoner “for effective studies of EIA. (ENV. IMPACT AUDITS.) And also to improve the working condition by minimizing pollution. The same procedure for Environmental Improvements can extended for all activities; in other industries as well as daily life activities.
Environmental Policy – Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
TCS Environmental Policy
TCS’ commitment to the environment stems from the Tata Group’s abiding concern for the environment, climate change and society, which is embodied in the TATA Code of Conduct, TATA Group Sustainability Policy and the TATA Climate Change Policy. Tata Consultancy Services recognizes environmental impact and climate change among the key sustainability challenges to businesses and society affecting economic stability, ecology and vulnerable communities. TCS is committed to assume a leadership role in environmental protection and climate change mitigation while pursuing our business aspirations for enhancement of shareholder value.
Tata Consultancy Services is a global organization providing IT services, business solutions, and outsourcing to clients worldwide. We recognize the direct impacts on the environment arising out of our operations and facilities due to consumption of resources like energy, water, etc. and generation of wastes. And we also realize the potential of our IT services and solutions to drive efficiencies through optimization and reduction of wastages which directly or indirectly reduces environmental / climate impact for our customers.
We shall strive to integrate a life cycle perspective into our environmental management processes to minimize our direct impacts on the environment while concurrently enhancing our services and solutions, to help customers improve their environmental and carbon performance towards meeting their own sustainability objectives.
TCS aims to fulfil its environmental commitments through the following broad-level actions:
- Integrate energy and environmental considerations into the design of our new infrastructural facilities.
- Improve resource efficiency in operations, especially for key resources such as energy and water.
- Reduce carbon footprint through energy efficiency measures and increasing the renewable energy component of our energy portfolio.
- Adopt a sustainable waste management philosophy in line with the concept of circularity through waste minimization, recycling and eco-friendly disposal according to regulatory requirements or industry best practice.
- Strive towards ‘greening’ our IT infrastructure and operations including data centers Adopt green procurement philosophy.
- Consider stakeholder expectations for improvement of our infrastructure, operations, processes, and solutions to the extent feasible.
- Set, monitor, benchmark and review objectives and targets on an ongoing basis towards achieving continual improvement in environmental and climate performance and the overall environmental management system.
- Fulfill all environmental compliance obligations and wherever feasible, strive for beyond compliance’ leadership.
- Preserve and enhance biodiversity in our campuses.
- Engage and involve customers, vendors and contractors in our environmental sustainability journey by sharing our expectations to collaboratively achieve our environmental objectives towards greening the supply chain.
- Report our environmental performance and contribution to climate-change related issues through relevant international and national forums and to other stakeholders through appropriate communication channels.
- Communicate the environmental policy to all employees, customers, business associates, and other stakeholders and ensure it is available to the public.
- Review the environmental policy and allied management systems periodically to ensure their continuing applicability and relevance to our operations and evolving stakeholder expectations.
- Strive to support various voluntary national and international protocols, conventions, and agreements on environment and proactively engage with governmental and other agencies in driving future environmental policy and regulation.
At TCS, concern for and protection of the environment are integral to our business strategy towards sustainability. We shall strive to fulfil all our environmental obligations and commitments as a truly responsible global corporate citizen.