What is the ILO model code safety regulations/ Legislation?
A Tripartite Technical Conference organized by the ILO in 1948 formulated a “Model Code” of Safety Regulations for Industrial Establishments for the guidance of governments and industry. Rule 82 of this Code specifically deals with guarding machinery. According to the Code, the guards should be properly designed, constructed and used so that they will:
- provide positive protection;
- prevent all access to the danger zone;
- cause the operator no discomfort or inconvenience;
- not interfere unnecessarily with production;
- operate automatically or with minimum effort;
- constitute preferably a built-in feature,
- be suitable for the job and the machine;
- provide for machine oiling. inspection, adjustment and repair;
- withstand long use with minimum maintenance;
- resist normal wear and shock;
- be durable and fire and erosion resistant;
- not constitute a hazard by themselves; and
- protect against unforeseen operational contingencies.
What is the levels of training applications to the field of occupational safety and health (OSH)?
There are multiple levels of training applicable to the field of occupational safety and health (OSH).
- Programs range from individual non-credit certificates, focusing on specific areas of concern, to full doctoral programs. The University of Southern California was one of the first schools in the US to offer a Ph.D. program focusing on the field.
- Further, multiple master’s degree programs exist, such as that of the Indiana State University who offer a master of science (MS) and a master of arts (MA) in OSH. Graduate programs are designed to train educators, as well as, high-level practitioners.
- Many OSH generalists focus on undergraduate studies; programs within schools, such as that of the University of North Carolina’s on line Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health and Safety, fill a large majority of hygienist needs.
- Elements of an effective Housekeeping program
- Plan a good Housekeeping Program
- Housekeeping, Purpose and Benefits of Housekeeping